Thursday 1 December 2011

It all OVER... NaNo is over!



That's it folks it's all over the last golden ticket has been found... er purple bar has been added.
The time is now 1:14am on the 1st of December... December can you believe it? Christmas is just around the corner and I'm still thinking about my book Timber Varden which still isn't finished however.... This has been my first year participating in NaNoWriMo - 30 days of literary abandonment, and I managed to hit the target of 50k and surpass that. It's currently sitting at 111,474 words long with one more main chapter and epilogue to write before tackling the secondary short that shall run with it.

As you can see this is what my graph looks like today. 30 days ago there wasn't a word, or a mark upon that graph. 5 days in and I reached that 50k target but kept on going as the story kept unfolding. 30 days along and there is still writing to be done, but at a more leisurely rate and certainly with passion.



I can't tell you how I feel now that it's done, a part of me wishes it was here for another month, but another part of me is relieved that I've survived such a feat. It has shown me that I can write the novel I've always wanted to write and then some. It's proven that I can write each and every day, no matter how much or how little it can be done. The average novel length is 80,000 words long - once the edits are done after the first draft is finished it could be more like that despite the high count now.

So what do I do now that NaNo is done? I do what I was born to do... and that is write, I will continue to finish Timber Varden and then proceed to Edit it, but I will give it some breathing space and return back to Awakening, my other novel that's become stranded in mid space along the way, straggling behind at 37ish thousand words. I will say that this is my first year ever attempting to write a novel and to have two starts is for me a great achievement. I have loved every moment that NaNo has offered me, the friends that I have since made, those fellow budding writers there to inspire and encourage - such an immense supportive group of people - there will never be anyone like them!

Yes I have friends who are just as supportive but when you need a writers critical eye for detail, you can only truly turn to a fellow writer for some advice, where as if turning to friends they may not be able to assist with what your needing some help with. All fair in love and war - well the pen leads this battle with his prose and might.
I'm not the best of writers - I don't intend to be, I write because I love it, I write because the passion is there and that my friends is what matters!

We are all Champions in the battle of writing, whether you have succeeded to write 50,000 words in 30 days or not you are a champion - nothing can take that from you. We are the warriors of the next generation and together we shall battle on!

No comments:

Post a Comment